Games on the Beach , dated 1956
Oil on canvas signed
Dated lower right
Size: 80 x 130cm
With frame: 94 x 144 cm
Roger Chastel depicts young bathers in ocher and pastel tones, busy playing on the beach, a vast expanse of skilfully worked pale yellow. Shapes and colors are clean. Sky, sand and water merge.
In his work strongly influenced by cubism, he seeks the essential through synthesis and refinement. During his career, he painted one of the panels of the Palace of the League of Nations in Geneva with Vuillard, Roussel and Maurice Denis. Professor appreciated by the Beaux-Arts de Paris, he participated in numerous collective and personal exhibitions. He represented France at the Venice Biennale in 1952.
• B. Dorival, The painters of the 20th century
• JL Ferrier, Modern Times
• J. Mistler, Roger Chastel, The masters of tomorrow collection, Sequana editions, 1943
• R. Huygue and J. Rudel, “Art and the modern world”, Volume 2, Paris, 1970
• J. Cassou, “Panorama of the plastic arts”, Paris, 1960
• Dictionary of Contemporary Abstract Art , Hazan editions, Paris, 1957
• In Paris: National Museum of Modern Art, Luxembourg Museum, Paris.
• In France: museum of the baux-arts of Nice, museum of Pontoise.
• Internationally: Turin Museum of Modern Art; Tunis Museum of Fine Arts; Baltimore Museum in Boston; the Carnegie Institute of Pittsburg, Museum of São Paulo, Brazil.